Sunday, February 19, 2006

I'd Rather Jack Them All

I'm a jack-of-all-interests and a master of none. I'm okay with that. In fact, I prefer it that way. I'd rather enjoy a variety of things than obsess about the excruciating minutia of.........just.........one........thing.

For instance, I like watching The Simpsons. I watch them every Sunday. I have all available seasons on DVD, and I'm currently reading a book called Planet Simpson: How a Cartoon Masterpiece Defined a Generation by Chris Turner. But that's where my involment in The Simpsons ends. I don't participate in online forums, I don't refer to episodes by enigmatic production codes, and while I often quote lines from the show, I can't necessarily tell you what episode it was from. Like, yawn, if you know what I mean.

The problem is that fanatics tend to condescend to non-fanatics. I should be able to explore my interests through trade shows, conventions, gatherings, online forums, and theme stores without catching attitude for my non-fanatic status.

It's starting to get on my nerve. Intensity does not confer validity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home