Saturday, August 05, 2006

Siggraph 2006: Intro

Okay, this is being written a day after I get home from Siggraph. I had very limited access to computers while there (rather ironic if you think about it), so I didn't get a chance to blog.

Siggraph is the ultimate expo/tradeshow/get-together/hoe-down for those of us in the computer graphics/3D animation field. There are courses, papers, presentations, panels...an art gallery, an emerging technology gallery, a job expo, a trade show, etc. Several co-workers in other departments have gone in previous years, but my group never had the budget money to send me. Until this year. I begged, pleaded, and wrote a brief paper on why I had to go to Siggraph, and money was allocated. Whoohoo...I'm going to Siggraph!

I'm excited about Siggraph, but pissed at Autodesk. 3D Studio MAX is my primary software package, mainly because it plays well with AutoCAD, which is used by my place of employment. Anyway, a week after I register for Siggraph, I get an email from Autodesk about Master Classes that are being held in Boston at the same time as Siggraph. Convenient location, sure, but it had separate registration (read: separate registration fee) from Siggraph. Too late for me to ask for more money. Besides, Siggraph is a dawn-to-dark event all on it's own without laying a separate conference on top of it. Oh well. No Masters Classes for me.

Tag:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home