Sunday, August 06, 2006

Siggraph 2006: Monday July 31

Siggraph Day Two, Part Two...Thank God for European Men!

J.D. and I dressed fairly fly for the ACM Siggraph party at the Roxy. I wore my white stretch jeans, a skin-tight stretch black polo, a flowered scarf belt, and my t-strap heels. J.D. opted for a more traditional, but no less cute, black summer skirt and white button down shirt. Yes, we heard a lot of lame yin-yang jokes over our unplanned outfit coordination. :)

We cabbed over to the Roxy for the party, and what a party it was! It started with a funky-cool techno fashion show; the light-up purse that said "Tease" was a personal favorite. I could see myself carrying something like that, if for no other reason than to remind myself that I'm not a complete corporate stooge.

After the fashion show, it was time to dance. Techno music for a techno people, of course. And thank God for all the European men who attended! They packed the dance floor in SECONDS, doing their own thing, which magically made it okay for EVERYONE to start dancing.

See, European men like to dance...no, that doesn't even cover it. European men are hell-bent on dancing, and they don't give a flip what anyone thinks about it. American men are mucho uptight about dancing, and most won't set foot on a dance floor unless specifically and directly accompied by a woman. (Much to the disappointment of us American women, I might add). If the ACM Siggraph party had been an American-only bash, the dance floor would have been 7 women who all knew each other and the 2 men dragged out there by their girlfriends. (The rest of us solo dancers would have shaken our rumps at the bar rather than daring the floor alone).

Since the European boys made it okay for everyone to dance, I left J.D. at the bar and hit the floor. At first I wasn't sure if I should leave her, but I felt compelled to move on after a particular Siggraph noteable, who shall be oh-so-nameless, was ogling me more than was appropriate. A little ogling is fine; heck, a lot of ogling is fine. Ogle away and make my day. But not when you are actually standing next to your wife who just happens to have her back turned. That's just creepy.

So I hit the floor to escape Mr. Ogler's eyes, and had myself a grand old time. Since I live in the real world as well as the virtual, I've got lots of clubbing experience under my belt, and I love any chance to do a good bump and grind. There is no better high.

I kept it solo for awhile, but I wound up sharing songs with the hottest male bump-and-grinder there. :) It was fabulous! He was utterly adorable, smelled really nice, and knew just where to put his hands. He wasn't afraid to dance low, he spun me several times, and we synched up so well. It was amazing intimate and thoroughly wonderful. (It also provided a much-needed ego boost. I've been feeling rather ugly of late, and well, not only was he a little hottie, he had to be younger than me. I'm guessing by at least 5 years, which, when you are 33, is a lot. Especially since most of the women present were in their early 20's). We never talked, so I didn't get his name, and I minimized eye contact because, well, eye contact can be too intimate, especially if you don't even know each other's names. Eventually, I had to get a drink, and he left the dance floor shortly after me and vanished into the night. Too bad, because I regret not getting his name. Dance that good deserves personal thanks. So if you are out there reading this, Mr. Siggraph Cutie in the blue-striped shirt, thanks for a good night. :)

And I had an epiphany about us 3D people as a whole. We are a repressed bunch of people. Only a repressed people could explode as thoroughly, as intensely, and intently as us ACM Siggraph folk did. I've never been to a club that could maintain a consistent level of energy, and positive energy at that, for that long. No gradual ramping up of energy, no lulls in the evening, no distracting bar fights, or bitch fights, for that matter. Just 100% intense party from the first second to the last note. It was spectacular!!! Good for us!


Tag:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home