Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Siggraph 2006: Tuesday August 1 Again

Siggraph Day Three, Part Two....Master this!

J.D. and I went to a special Mental Ray MasterClass at the Westin for 3D Studio MAX subscription members. The class itself was kind of okay, but the reception afterwards was a bit of a dud. The guy leading the class had an adorable accent and was funny as heck. I reached a point where I was taking as many notes on his funny sayings as I was on the actual Mental Ray tricks! I'm looking forward to getting MAX 9 because it looks like using Mental Ray has been simplified. Or, if not simplified, at least it now has some presets to get me going in the right direction. Intuitive renderer, it is not.

After the class was a wine and cheese reception. I think it was meant as a networking get-together, and I was really hoping that it would be, but alas, NOT. A lot of people either wandered off immediately, or grabbed a glass and then wandered off. Few people actually hung around, and they weren't mingling. It was almost like being a high-school lunch room; everyone seemed to cluster up with friends and stay that way. J.D. and I stayed and talked with the one other guy at our table, and while he was a nice guy, it just wasn't the exciting, happening time I wished it was. Oh well. Maybe next year it will suck less.

In fact, the only interesting thing to happen that night was back at the hotel. J.D. and I hadn't heard of any parties, so we wound up back at the Colonnade talking to the nighttime business concierge. After 10 or so minutes of chatter, he suddenly apologized for staring at me, and asked if I had any family here in the east. Apparently I look exactly like the love of his life, the girlfriend that he let get away 20 years ago. Interesting, but I would have much rather been partying with some Siggraph folk. 25, 000 people, supposed 95% men, and us two women can't find a party. Oh well. It was nice to have a good nights sleep.

Tag:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home